Sunday 11 March 2012


Technically this blog is not about the road. It is about experiences, mainly of women, because I am one. Why this name, then?

One of my favourite travel authors describes an experience where is is told that if he reaches Place X, he will find a bus to the city he wishes to reach. With great difficulty and after 4 long days, he reaches the designated Place X to find there was absolutely no bus. Exhausted and at his wits end, he enquires of the sole villager he can see - "Good sir, isn't there a bus to City Z?"
The villager replies in the negative.
The traveller asks desperately - "But why is there no bus?!"
The villager looks at him sternly and replies, "There is no bus, because there is no road."

Being a woman myself and worked with women's issues for over 21 years, I find the answers to many of the problems and their solutions is as simple as that - we cannot move from where we are, because there is no road. But the travel author mentioned above does get to his destination. And so do many women.

This blog is about circumstances in our lives when we are sternly told that there is no road. And it remains up to us - do we find a road? Do we give up and stay on at Place X? I am sure this happens to men too. But for the time being, I do not plan to include them in my musings, except in their different roles in our lives.

This blog remains a personal space for my experiences and analyses as a woman. Of my reactions and those of the women I know and have worked with (ranging from helpless giggles to complete outrage) to being told, "There is no road."

1 comment: